Jam is more difficult than I though to make and it did take me quite a few attempts but having a Pear Tree made me motivated to do it. It is completely worth the effort though. The trick seems to be in the setting of the jam. You need to boil the jam enough that is sets or you end up with jars of jelly, which actually with some peanut butter is not necessarily a bad thing.
- 1kg fruit (Any you like. I even like buying bags of cheap frozen mixed berries and using them)
- 1kg jam sugar (has the pectin enzyme to make it set)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Vanilla (1 tbsp essence; extract or fresh pod scraping them black bits of with a knife)
- Boil ingredients together for about 20 minutes.
- Put a plate in the freezer in parallel.
- After 20 minutes put a drop of jam onto the plate and if it starts to solidify and form a skin so setting it’s ready. If not keep boiling until it does.
- Sterilise jam jars (old or new) buy pouring boiling water over them in the sink and the lids or use your dishwasher to clean them.
- Pour into jars and store for about a year.
Some materials in you want to copy:
Jam Jar Labels