Cheat’s Sausage Rolls
I adore sausage rolls but I’m not a fan of the shop bought ones. I am however a fan of cheating by making homemade ones. Who has time to make puff pastry anyway. You can also make these as a whole in advance and freeze them so when anyone arrives you can quickly pop them in the oven and instant gorgeous snacks.
- Pack of your favourite sausages (http://richmondsausages.co.uk/)
- Pack of frozen puff pastry (https://www.jusrol.co.uk/products)
- Egg wash (egg beaten with a tiny splash of milk)
- Olive oil
- Cover your baking tray with a tiny bit of olive oil just so the sausage rolls don’t stick.
- Set the oven to 180 degrees c.
- Using scissors cut the skins away from the sausage meat leaving the sausages intact.
- Open up the puff pastry packet and let it defrost in the fridge until cold but pliable.
- Position the sausages on the pastry in long strips with enough pastry on each side so you’ll be able to wrap the sausage.
- Slice down the pastry and wrap the sausages.
- Cut the sausages into small snack sizes or larger lunch size.
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm.
If you really want to make them fancy you can add spices or fruit to the sausage mix. Apple sauce or sage spices work really well.
Some materials to buy if you want to copy this:
Cake Tin (to store and keep fresh)