Today’s attempt is definitely not a recipe as such but a fun attempt at making our own beer. I’m hoping to get to a point whereby I can try out different hops and recipes but thought it best to start at the beginning.
Previously I’d bought a basic beer kit to make Elderflower champagne – see below.
Basic Kit I bought:
Whilst browsing a TK Maxx store I found a Tequila lime kit so thought it would be the next fun recipe to try. I couldn’t find it online so have included a similar one that I will probably try next!
Fun Beer Kit
Basically follow the instructions! They all vary. In essence you will add the kit to some water; keep it in a warm place for a few weeks until brewed and then bottle it.
- Keep at a warm constant temperate or it won’t brew
- Make sure you sterilise everything so no bugs get in and ruin your work. If your kit doesn’t have one buy one
- When you bottle I’d recommend the ‘Grolsch’ style lids as they allow gas to escape if it hasn’t quite finished brewing so the glass bottles don’t explode
- Buy some bottles and caps or lids! They tend not to come with the kits
- Buy a cap fitter
- Get some funky labels made up from ‘Etsy’ or ‘eBay’ to really personalise your brew
- I’d also recommend a hydrometer to be able to see and not guess your alcohol percentage but it’s a nice to have for your first batch
Easy Caps with bottles
Standard Cap Fitter
I also found this that looked an amazing try for my next purchase… making Cider!
If you have any ideas or recipes for me to try please do send them through.