Perfect Roast Potatoes
These roast potatoes are partially taken from a Nigella Lawson cookbook. I was used to cooking my roasties in as much fat as I could as that’s what I’d been given as a kid but I’d never coated them in semolina before. The semolina makes them crunchy and sweet but not in a sickly way. If you cook them slowly and allow them to really brown they are literally the best potatoes in the world and trust me I’ve had a lot of compliments.
As it’s Christmas tomorrow I’d recommend a one off addition of goose fat instead of cooking oil for a Christmas treat.
2.5kg Maris Piper potatoes
2-3 tbsps semolina
Sunflower oil; butter or goose fat (at Christmas)
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees
- Cut the potatoes into ⅓ pieces and boil in salted water for about 10 minutes
- Drain the potatoes and shake them around in the colander to make rough edges
- In a roasting tin and the fat and put in the oven for a few minutes before you add the potatoes. You can also heat in on the hob but be careful with hot fat as it splits
- Drop the potatoes into the roasting tin and sprinkle over semolina and salt/pepper
- Shake the potatoes around so they get covered in the fat
- Roast for about 40 minutes shaking the tin occasionally until they are golden brown and crunchy