My husband and I have a serious problem with eating pizza. It started when we were dating and he took me to Pizza Hut in the UK and introduced to me the simplicity of very good margarita pizzas. Before then I’d had the odd takeway pizza and really just ate the most debated pizza Hawaiian!
Now I still love a Hawaiian pizza don’t get me wrong but after a trip we took to New York I started to completely fall in love with pizza.
If you are ever in Manhattan we’d highly recommend a few places but I think my favourite was inside Penn Station called ‘Don pepi’ and they served me a “white” which I’d never heard of which didn’t have tomato sauce! Amazing.
The pizza I think my husband would choose especially in the UK is the ‘Croma’ piri piri. Gorgeous stuff.
Anyway the point is that we are pizza eaters and pride ourselves on it so we decided we’d try and make our own.
- 200g of plain flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 packet (7g) yeast
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 120ml warm water
- Any spices you like such as oregano. We found a really nice pizza spice mix in Aldi but the one from Amazon below looks very similar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076KR1KHJ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=melmosparkly-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B076KR1KHJ&linkId=2a233fb0177e89061ca7761a81547851
- Tomato paste tablespoon
- 2 cups passata
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 dash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Garlic paste tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon chilli flakes
- Grated mozzarella
- Sprinkle of oregano
- Add the dry dough ingredients to a bowl but keep the yeast and salt separate as salt can kill the yeast
- Mix and pour the warm water in to string with a metal knife (easier to clean)
- When it starts to come together start to knead for 10 to 15 minutes. Only add as much flour as you need to keep it from really sticking to your hands. It should be tacky
- Press into a pizza shape and let it rest for 30 minutes under a damp tea towel
- For the sauce add all the ingredients to a pan and stir on a low heat for about 20 minutes to simmer down.
- Take the pizza dough out and add the sauce and your cheese
- Cook on a high heat (220 degrees c) for about 8-10 minutes until golden brow
- Store your excess sauce in little pots for the freezer
Looking at other recipes I think our next purchase to enhance the process is a pizza stone. Link below to the one I just bought and I’ll feedback on whether it helps.